Welcome to Addison,
Text Size: Use Small Fonts Use Large Fonts
Fast Facts

Fast Facts

Interesting facts about Addison

  • Addison covers a 4.35 square mile area just north of Dallas
  • With more than 170 restaurants, every resident in Addison could go out to eat and be seated at the same time
  • Addison has 22 hotels with over 4000 rooms
  • Addison's 118 acres of parks are some of the finest in Texas
  • Every winter, the Addison landscaping crew plants 75,000 tulip bulbs.  The bulbs come straight from Holland, world famous for tulips.   Every spring, the Town of Addison is one of the most beautiful gardens in the entire Dallas-Fort Worth area!
  • Addison has a population of only 15,830 residents, but its business and daytime population typically reaches up to 100,000 a day
  • About 55% of all Addison residents age 25+ have an associate's degree, a bachelor's degree or a graduate degree
  • The Cavanaugh Flight Museum, located in Addison, features fully restored war birds from W.W.I and W.W.II
  • Addison Airport is now the third largest general aviation airport in the country and boasts a runway of 7,200 feet. With 774 based aircraft, the airport averages 366 operations per day.
  • Addison has been used as a setting for numerous commercials and for at least one feature film (Dr. T and the Women starring Richard Gere, Helen Hunt, and Farah Fawcett.)
  • Addison has one of the lowest tax rates in Texas
  • Addison is nationally known for having one of the most progressive fire sprinkler ordinances in the world. All buildings over 500 square-feet - including residences - are equipped with an approved fire sprinkler system when they are constructed.  Adopted in 1992, this life saving prerequisite has become a model for many communities around the Country.
  • There are special events in Addison 29 weekends of every year!
  • The Town of Addison is located in an area once called Peters Colony. It was settled as early as 1846 when Preston Witt built a house on White Rock Creek. The area was not known as Addison until 1902. Addison was named after Addison Robertson, who served as the community's second postmaster from 1908-1916. In 1902, the first industry was introduced to Addison when a cotton gin was built on Addison Road, near the railroad, by the Pistole brothers. It became the Plano Cotton Oil Mill in 1904 and the Farmers Gin of Addison in 1919.

Online Services

Departments