Town of Addison Frequently Asked Questions
- Town Calendar
- Business Registration
- Entertainment & Restaurants
- Building Inspection Permit Portal
- Food Svc License Permit Portal
- Watch Public Meetings Live
- Emergency Notification System
- Pay & Manage Your Utility Bill
- Municipal Court Payment Portal
- Online Forms
- Interactive Zone & Ordinance Map
- Addison Code of Ordinance Online
- Your Guide to Sustainable Living
- Financial Transparency
- Citizen Support Center
- Destination Addison
- Addison Arbor Foundation Online
Wind: E at 7 mph
|Complete DFW Forecast|
Athletic Club FAQs
Conference & Theatre Centre FAQs
Financial & Strategic Services FAQs
Fire Department FAQs
Human Resources FAQs
Infrastructure Operations and Services FAQs
Municipal Court FAQs
Police Department and Animal Control FAQs
Visitor Services FAQs
- What are the swimming pool hours?
- The indoor pool is open the same hours as the Athletic Club, but we close the pool 15 minutes before the facility closes. We offer a variety of water classes, at those times there may be only one lap lane avaliable. Check your Accolade or ask the front desk staff for class times. The outdoor pool is open in the Summer only starting the weekend of Memorial Day, and ending on Labor day. Hours of operation are Monday through Friday 12 pm to 8 pm, Saturday 10 am to 8 pm and Sunday 1 pm to 6 pm.
- When was the facility built?
- The Club was built in 1987, with an expansion completed in June of 2003.
- Do you offer non-resident memberships?
- We only offer memberships to Addison residents.
- Can I rent the Conference Centre for meetings and social functions?
- Yes, the Conference Centre is available events from corporate trainings and stockholders meetings to weddings and parties. We have a professional staff that is available to help you plan your event. Call the ACTC at 972-450-6241 for availability and pricing.
- Do I have to set-up the room myself?
- No. The set-up of the space is included in the rental fee. Also included in the price of the room are the tables, chairs and linen that are available in the ACTC inventory.
- Is there a charge for parking?
- No. The ACTC offers free parking in our lot on the corner of Addison Road and Addison Circle.
- What are my options for food service at the ACTC?
- Catering may be brought in from any Addison hotel, restaurant or caterer. Ask one of the conference coordinators for a listing of available caterers. An approved list of caterers may also be found here.
- Is audio visual equipment available?
- Yes. We can accommodate all of your audio visual needs from wireless microphones to elaborate multi-media productions. Click here for details and pricing.
- How can I purchase tickets to a production at the Addison Theatre Centre?
- WaterTower Theatre is the resident company of the Addison Theatre Centre. Tickets for any WTT show may be purchased by calling the box office at 972-450-6232 or by visiting the WTT website. To purchase tickets to shows produced by visiting arts groups, click on the calendar section and date of the event for complete information.
- Can I rent a space to produce a play or other type of performance?
- Yes. We welcome the opportunity to work with talented theatrical, dance and musical groups. Please call 972-450-6241 to check venues, pricing and availability.
- Can I rent the Theare lobby for a social function?
- Yes. We will rent the Theatre lobby for social events if the theatre spaces are not in production. Please call 972-450-6241 to check availability.
- How do property taxes in Addison work?
- The Dallas Central Appraisal District appraises property in Dallas County to determine property values. This value is used by taxing entities, including Addison, in calculating your property taxes. Your property tax amount is calculated by taking the market value (as determined by the appraisal district) and subtracting any appropriate exemptions (granted by the appraisal district) to determine the taxable value, then multiplying this taxable value by each applicable taxing entity's tax rate. If you have questions about the appraisal process, value, exemptions, and protests visit DCAD's website at http://www.dcad.org/ or call (214) 631-0910.
Dallas County bills and collects property taxes for the Town of Addison. If you have questions about your property tax statement, did not receive a statement, have payment questions, or would like to make a payment visit Dallas County's website at http://www.dallascounty.org/ or call (214) 653-7811.
- What is the amount of sales tax collected in the Town of Addison?
- The State of Texas imposes a sales/use tax of 6.25% on all retail sales, leases and rental of most goods, as well as taxable services. Texas cities have the option of imposing an additional local sales tax for a combined total of state and local taxes of 8.25%. For more information on sales tax visit the State Comptroller's website at http://www.window.state.tx.us/.
- Where can I get a library card?
- As a resident of Addison, you can go to Addison Town Hall located at 5300 Belt Line Road to apply for a City of Dallas or City of Farmers Branch library card.
- I live in Addison. Why do I have a Dallas, TX 75254 zip code?
- When Addison opened their own post office with a 75001 zip code, the residents in the southeast section of the Town voted to retain the Dallas 75240 zip code, which later was changed by the post office to the 75254 zip code.
- Where can I renew my driver's license?
- Drivers License renewals are administered by the Texas Department of Public Safety. The main phone number is 214-861-2000. Individual locations are listed (Location/Phone Number): 116 W. Belt Line Cedar Hill 469-272-9301, 11411 E Northwest Hwy Dallas 214-553-0033, 1500 Marilla Dallas 214-651-1859, 5610 Red Bird Center Dallas 214-330-3958, 350 West Interstate 30 Garland 972-861-2125, 550 S Carrier Pkwy Grand Prairie 972-264-6598, 1003 W 6th Irving 972-253-4171, 2625 Old Denton Rd Carrollton 972-245-5800.
- Where can I register my car?
- The Dallas County Tax offices administer vehicle registrations. Dallas County Tax Office Hours Main Office and Substations - 8:00 AM to 4:30 PM Monday through Friday, Closed All Day Saturday, AUTOMOBILE REGISTRATION - 214-653-7621, Main Office: 500 Elm Street (Elm & Houston) Dallas, TX 75202; Branch Office Locations: Duncanville, 100 E. Wheatland Road Mesquite, 210 W. Grubb Farmers Branch, 2436 Valley View Lane N. Dallas, 10056 Marsh Lane #160, Garland, 675 W. Walnut Oak Cliff, 408 S. Beckley, Grand Prairie, 525 W. Hwy 303 Ste 591 Richardson, 516 Twilight Trail Irving, 530 N. O'Connor Rd.
- When someone calls for an ambulance, why do you often send a fire engine also?
- All our ambulances (also called Mobile Intensive Care Units, or MICUs) are staffed with two paramedics. However, many emergencies require more than two care providers to handle all the medical equipment it takes to provide the best care possible. A heart attack call is a typical example where several paramedics are necessary to evaluate, treat, lift and transport the patient as quickly and as safely as possible. Each of our engines are staffed with firefighters who are cross-trained as paramedics so it makes sense to send them along with the ambulance on certain types of medical emergencies.
- Tell me more about your CPR certification classes.
- CPR courses are typically held every 1st and 3rd Saturday of each month from 8am - 12pm at the Addison Fire Department, 4798 Airport Parkway. You must be an Addison resident or work in Addison to take this course. The cost of the course is free, however we require you to purchase the American Heart Association book through us for $15.00. You must obtain the book and review it prior to the course. Participants who successfully complete the course receive an American Heart Association certification card, which is valid for two years. If you would like to register for the course, please call Monica at 972-450-7200.
- How do I obtain an ambulance bill?
- Our ambulance billing is administered by Cornerstone Adminisystems. They can be reached at (877) 214-6018 or P.O. Box 726, New Cumberland, PA 17070-0726. If you need a bill for ambulance service prior to September 2010, please contact the Town of Addison Financial & Strategic Services Department at (972) 450-7064.
- When will you be hiring for Firefighter/Paramedic?
- We hire on an as needed basis. Please check the Human Resources page periodically for job postings.
- What are the current job openings for the Town of Addison?
- For current openings, click here.
- How do I apply for a job with Addison?
- For Public Safety positions (Police, Dispatcher, and Firefighter/Paramedic) which require testing, please see the appropriate testing packet for more detailed information. To view and print the packets, go to the Human Resources Home Page and look under Connections. The packet includes information about the application process, as well as forms to be completed and turned in at the time of the test. For all other openings, please print and complete the Application for Employment (see Forms). After you have completed the Application, you may bring the completed application to the Addison Human Resources Department located at 16801 Westgrove Dr. Addison, TX, mail it to P.O. Box 9010, Addison, TX 75001 or fax it to 972-450-2835. Applications are also available at the Human Resources Department. You may also hand deliver, mail, or fax your resume.
- What happens after I have submitted the application?
- Receipt of your application will be acknowledged by mail. Applications are then reviewed by the department which has an opening. Those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted by phone.
- If I am selected for an interview, what happens after that?
- All candidates interviewed for a position will be notified whether or not they are going forward in the hiring process. For those that do pass the interview process, we conduct a reference check with previous employers and a background check for criminal history and driving record. Some positions require a credit check also. If those reviews are satisfactory, the applicant is given a conditional job offer, subject to passing a physical exam and drug screen.
- I applied for a job a while back, but didn't get it. I now see another opening that I am interested in. Do I need to complete another application?
- If your application was completed within 90 days, you may call the Human Resources Department at 972-450-2817 and tell us your name, the position you applied for previously, and the job for which you now wish to apply. We will pull your previous application from our records and submit it to the appropriate department to review.
- Do I have to live in Addison to work for the town?
- Some management positions have residency requirements of 15 miles proximity to Addison. However, most jobs do not have that requirement. The Town of Addison is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of your residence, nor on the basis of race, color, national origin, gender, religion, age, or disability.
- What are the days for garbage/ recycling collection? What about holidays?
- Garbage is picked up at curbside or alley starting at 7:00A.M. every Monday and Thursday. Recycling is picked up every Monday. The Town's garbage/recycling collection contractor suspends collection on three holidays per year when they fall on a Monday or Thursday. These holidays are Thanksgiving, Christmas Day and New Year's Day. For complete details, click here.
- What can I do with tree limbs and other bulky items such as sofas, hot water heaters, etc.?
- This is a special collection, please call 972-450-2871 to schedule a collection. For more information on this service, click here.
- How can I dispose of old paint, household chemicals, trees and batteries?
- There are two ways you can dispose of House Hazardous Waste. To learn more about these options, click here or call 972-450-2871.
- I live in an apartment complex. Does Addison have a drop off center for recyclables?
- Some Addison apartment communities do offer recycling services, please check with your apartment management. At this time Addison does not provide recycling to multi-family residences and does not have a recycling drop off center. The management for these communities contract with private collection companies. Please call your apartment manager to request this service.
- How can I have my citation dismissed?
- Typically only the prosecutor may dismiss a citation. Some citations that are dismissed by the Court are: 1) Failure to Provide Financial Responsibility This citation may be dismissed if the defendant can bring his/her original insurance policy to the Court and/or Front Desk that shows liability coverage on the date and time that the citation was issued. The policy must have a declarations page that specifies that either the vehicle or defendant was covered on the date and time of the offense. 2) Failure to display Driver's License If the defendant can produce a Texas driver's license that was current on the date and time of offense, the Court may dismiss the citation for this particular offense. 3) Expired Violations If you are charged with expired drivers license, registration or inspection these may be dismissed by the Court.
- How can I keep a citation from affecting my driving record?
- The law provides two alternatives designed to keep citations from adversely affecting your driving record. These programs are deferred adjudication and defensive driving. Deferred adjudication is associated with an administrative fee and a probation period in lieu of the fine. Defensive driving allows you to pay court costs and an administrative fee, and take a state approved driver's safety course for the dismissal of your citation.
- I cannot pay the fine in full, is it possible to pay my citation in installments?
- Yes, the Court allows you to set up a payment plan for outstanding citations. You may not be eligible for this option if you are previously defaulted on a payment plan. The Court Clerk will give you more detailed instructions on this option upon requesting it at the customer service windows at the Court.
- Do I have to have an attorney to represent my case?
- No, you may retain an attorney but you do not have to have one. As this is a fine only offense the court will not appoint an attorney.
- If I cannot appear on my court date, what do I do?
- You must file a motion for continuance stating the reasons you cannot appear. This can be in the form of a letter addressed to the Court.
- Will I be able to dispose of my case at the front desk?
- Not necessarily. The Judge performs all judicial functions by law and can only delegate clerical duties to the clerks. Therefore all decisions on matters must be decided by a Judge and not the clerk.
- What should I do if I do not have the money to pay the fine?
- You should schedule a court date and talk with the Judge. If you delay you will only make matters worse and you may subject yourself to being arrested because you ignored your promise to appear.
- What are park hours?
- All Addison parks are open from 5 a.m. until 11 p.m.
- Can I bring alcohol in the park?
- No. Alcohol is not allowed in Addison Parks by Ordinance.
- Who do I call to report park maintenance items such as broken irrigation heads, park lights out, broken tree limbs, shrubs that need trimming, etc.?
- Parks Dept. 972-450-2851
- Can I skateboard in Addison Parks?
- No person shall ride or use any skateboard within 200 feet of, in, or around a public fountain, pavilion, municipal building, or other city-owned structure. This ordinance does not apply to the Les Lacs Linear Park, which is located in and around the Les Lacs subdivision and at 3901 Beltway in Addison, Texas.
- Can I ride my motorized scooter on park trails?
- No, you can't. No motorized vehicles are allowed in Addison parks.
- Can I ride my bicycle on park trails? Can I rollerskate/rollerblade on park trails?
- Yes, you can.
- Is my dog welcome in Addison parks?
- Of course, however per Addison ordinance, all dogs must remain on leash, and you must pick up after your animal. Addison provides pet waste baggies in boxes in each park. Please take only what you need for your walk and dispose of the baggies in a trash receptacle. This is the law.
- How do I rent the Pavilion in Les Lacs Park?
- Only Addison residents and Addison businesses may rent the pavilion. For more information, you can find the Pavilion Reservation Form in the Forms section.
- There is a sick or dead duck in the pond, who do I call?
- Animal Control can be contacted at 972-450-2840.
- Baby ducks are stuck in the pond drain again, who do I call?
- Call the Parks Department at 972-450-2851.
- Can I boat or swim in Addison's ponds?
- No, there is no boating or swimming allowed in Addison's ponds.
- Can I use my remote controlled model boat on the ponds?
- Yes, you can.
- When should I call 9-1-1?
- 9-1-1 is appropriate for any life-threatening emergency, or to report a crime-in-progress. For non-emergencies, please use 972-450-7156.
- How do I file a police report? Do I need an appointment?
- APD is "open for business" twenty four hours-a-day, and no apppointment is necessary. You can come in person to our facility at the intersection of Addison Road and Airport Parkway, or call 972-450-7156 and arrange for an officer to contact you.
- Can I get my fingerprints made at the police department if required by my job?
- This service is available to persons who live or work in Addison, with proper verification. There is no charge, but you must bring your own fingerprint card. The jail staff will assist you with this between 2:00 PM and 4:00 PM, Monday through Friday.
- Are any police officer positions open at Addison PD?
- Yes! Information is available from the Human Resources Department, or you may download the file named "Police Officer Test Packet" from the Forms section of this web site.
- Why does the Town of Addison require alarm permits?
- The Town requires alarm permits in order to maintain current contact information on the resident/business so the police department may notify a responsible party if a problem arises.
- Who needs a permit?
- A person who owns or exercises control over any dwelling or any business and who desires to operate an alarm system at the dwelling or the business shall obtain a permit to operate the alarm system from the chief of police. Basically, if you have an alarm system you will need a permit.
- My alarm isn't monitored by an alarm company; do I still need a permit?
- Yes. Even if your alarm isn't monitored you are still operating an alarm and must have a permit. This is so the police department has your contact information in the event they respond to your location and need to notify you of a problem.
- How much does a permit cost?
- Business permits cost $25 a calendar year, and are prorated for new businesses. If payment is not made within 60 days of the January 15th deadline, a 10% delinquent fee will added to the amount due.
- How long is the alarm permit good for?
- A business alarm permit is valid for one calendar year. A residential alarm permit is valid as long as the permit holder lives at the location. You may obtain an alarm permit in person at the police department records window Monday – Friday between the hours of 8:00am and 5:00pm or online at our website: http://www.addisontx.gov/
- How do I change my contact information?
- You may change your contact information online at http://www.addisontx.gov/ using the permit form; by mailing a letter to the records section with your new information to the Addison Police Department, P.O. Box 9010 Addison TX 75001. You may also come to the police department records window in person.
- How many free false alarms do I get?
- Each location is allowed 5 (five) false alarms each calendar year before being charged a fee.
- What are the fees for false alarms?
- A location will be billed $50 for each false alarm beyond the first five in a calendar year. False alarm fees are due upon receipt. If payment is not made within 60 days of the invoice date, a 10% delinquent fee will added to the amount due.
- What are the fees for panic/robbery/hold-up alarms?
- Each false panic/robbery/hold-up alarm at a location will result in a $75 fee. There are no free false panic/robbery/hold-up alarms.
- What if I have an actual emergency and the alarm isn't false?
- You will not be charged for actual alarms for example; an alarm activated as a result of a criminal offense.
- Do I need to register my dog and cat?
- Yes. Any dog or cat four months of age or older must be registered with Animal Control. No dog or cat can be registered until it has a current rabies vaccination. The registration fee is $5.00 unless the dog or cat being registered has been spayed or neutered, in which case the fee is $3.00. This can be done by mail or in person at the Addison Police Dept, 4799 Airport Pkwy, 972-450-2845. If mailing, include a check and a copy of the latest proof of vaccination. In person, please provide a check and proof of vaccination.
- My dog is well trained. Does he need a leash?
- It is unlawful for any dog to run at large. Running at large means not completely confined by a building, wall or fence of sufficient strength or construction to confine the dog except when such animal is either on a leash or held in the hands of the owner.
- How do I get on the Town's bid list?
- The Town does not maintain a bid list. To receive an electronic notification request for a bid, please register with http://www.bidsync.com . BidSync will register users based on commodity type, and users will receive an electronic notification when bids are requested for their particular commodity type.
- How do I contact the Purchasing Division?
- Email: Phone number: 972-450-7087 Fax number: 972-450-7065 Physical address: 5350 Belt Line Rd., Addison Mailing address: P.O. Box 9010, Addison, TX 75001-9010
- When does the Town hold its auction?
- The Town holds online auctions on http://www.renebates.com/. Please check the Town's website for future auction dates.
- Where is the Finance Building located?
- The Finance Building is located at 5350 Belt Line Road, between the Dallas North Tollway and Preston Road.
- Can I submit my bid via fax or e-mail?
- The Town of Addison does not accept bids via fax or e-mail. All bids must be mailed or delivered to the Town of Addison for consideration.
- Are bid openings public?
- Yes. All bidders are welcome to attend bid openings. Bid openings are typically held in the Finance Conference Room located on the second floor of the Finance Building.
- How can I check on the results or a bid opening or results after a Council meeting when after an award of a bid has been considered?
- Bid tabulation sheets are posted on http://www.bidsync.com within 24 hours after a bid has been opened. Bid awards are also posted on www.demandstar.com within 24 hours of official Council action. Bidders can also contact Purchasing at 972-450-7087 to obtain this information.
- How can I lease the Addison Circle park for a party/company picnic/special event?
- If the number of people attending the event is under 1,499 call Angie Logal at 972-450-6206. If the number of people attending the event is over 1,500 call Barbara Kovacevich at 972-450-6221
- How many hotels are there in Addison?
- How many square feet of meeting space is there in Addison?
- How many restaurants are there in Addison?
- Is the Mary Kay Museum open to the public, and if so, where is it?
- The Mary Kay Museum, located at 16251 N. Dallas Parkway, is open to the public from 8:30 am to 5:00 pm Monday through Friday. The numbers to call are 972-687-6300, (ask for the Tour Line office) or 800-627-9529.
- Where is the Cavanaugh Flight Museum located?
- The museum is located at 4572 Claire Chennault, Addison (Mapsco Page 4 U). From Addison Road, go west on Westgrove, turn south onto Claire Chennault and almost at the end of the street, Cavanaugh Flight Museum will be on your left hand side. You will see some WWII planes outside the hangars. Tel: 972-380-8800